Friday, January 1, 2010

The Dyslexic Belly Button Trick

How I learned to read ...


What could be more important than to learn to read? Afterall, it's really the first great step a writer must take. But when you are dyslexic, there are a few challenges around reading. In my case, the letters danced. They wiggled and jumped and flipped around like a gang of crumpers. I had to find a way to stop them so I used "belly button gravity" - an imagined force of gravity that eminated from my navel and tamed the dancing letters that misbehaved in all my books. The belly button gravity anchored my letters so I could read the words. I assumed they danced for everyone. I assumed everyone settled down the paragraphs with belly button force fields. 


It's hard to know what you don't know. But when the letters obeyed, I could read. It took a few years to stop my head nodding at every syllable though.


The dyslexic belly button trick did not solve the syllabic head bobbing. So, follow the blog because that story's a cliff hanger.


Dyslexics Untie.





Follow leftleftwrite on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take a moment to comment.